Monday, November 20, 2006

Honesty Alert

Mary Ann asked for more information about the William-parent meeting from last week. I was going to e-mail it, but I figured hey, this blog is all about honesty so why censor myself? See I have all this pent up anger that I've been told I need to let out so I decided to go ahead and do that. Some people may not want to read this and I think you know who you are.


The meeting on the whole went fairly well. Will is really good with people, he called them ma'am and sir. I was pretty uncomfortable. Probably the most uncomfortable out of everybody there. I was already mad at Mom for something so I was a little snippy. She made a couple of jokes at my expense which certainly didn't help my mood, but made Will laugh. For example, "Yeah Dan and I ate at The Library one evening and I just thought, 'we could really loan Katie Isabella's kilt and it would be the same length as her skirt'." Well, why do you think Will called me in the first place? So basically, William was charming, Mom and Dad were charming. Everything was great--precisely the problem.


Will and everybody else from high school knew I had problems with my parents without even knowing much about me as a person. Every time I saw Will's current roommate he would say something along the lines of, "Kat, What's up? How's stuff with your parents?" I told Will that things are mostly better with Mom and Dad and of course for the first few meetings everything would be fine. After meeting them, he basically told me that my relationship with my parents is what it is because I'm too negative. That he barely knew me in high school but he knew I had trouble with my family. At that point I started to cry. That's right, I started to cry at the bar at Outback. I put my hand down and I told Will that he didn't know how bad things got back then and it was unfair of him to make judgments based on one evening with my parents. He got freaked out because I've never gotten that upset in front of him.

I'm glad things are better with Mom and Dad. Honestly. I think back to how I felt on a daily basis back then and I hope I never feel like that again. I also hope that if I have children that they never feel that way. The fact of the matter is that there is a separation between me and several family members that will never be removed. I'm different, my beliefs are different. I think a lot of people in the family don't view me as an equal or think I'm as good as them because I have a different lifestyle. That's just the truth. The bottom line is that I try hard to be a good person and I'm happy with who I am. I know I'm not perfect, but I try to do what I think is right and that's what's important to me.

So, Mary Ann, if you're still reading, overall the meeting went well. Things with William and I are really good. I think that when things move into the "serious" category I might try and expose him to a family function experience, but not until I'm fairly sure he won't go anywhere.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

It's not that we love non-Mormons less, it's that we love Mormons more.

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for publishing all of this. I think the one thing that other people can do that really hurts more than anything else is to judge quickly and incorrectly (because snap observations usually are wrong and not very generous or kind).

You're right that Will (and probably everyone else too) has no idea what your life was like then. I'm glad that things are still good with him anyway.

The few times that I've tried to explain some of my own teen-age misery to my parents it has been like talking to a brick wall. Their take on those years baffles me, and their perception of it will never be big enough to include the pain I felt.