Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I Think I'm Going to Puke

I think it isn't a surprise to any of you that I have some pretty serious anxiety problems as well as significant obsessive compulsive tendencies. These conditions are directly related to my stress/happiness level. They've gotten pretty bad lately. Adding to these issues is the amount of vermin and pestilence I've had to deal with.

First of all, I have these prehistoric sized crickets that have invaded my kitchen and bathroom. I have found three so far in my shower after I have already disrobed. They jump really high and completely creep me out. I found another one drowned in a container of water I left in my kitchen. I generally try to catch bugs and put them back outside but I've kind of reached my limit. They're really too big to squash though. I can only imagine the sound and smear one of them would make. Ugh. The other day I found another one on my kitchen floor. I decided to spray it. It crawled underneath my freezer to so I just sprayed all around and underneath the freezer. Since I don't usually kill bugs I guess I didn't really realize how long it would take for it to die. After about half an hour it came limping back out onto the floor draging its pathetic immobilized back legs. I sprayed it some more and it turned over on its back flailing its legs. The most disgusting thing was that I could hear its mouth open and close making a little smacking noise. This happened several days ago but I'm still repulsed. Eventually it was almost dead but still flailing so I scooped it up in a paper towel and threw it away.

Second of all, I got to the cabin today and saw some kind of dead animal in the driveway. It was a rabbit with the fur from its backside removed. Pretty disgusting. I went inside and told Mom just to see what she wanted me to do. She told me to not let Sophie out and throw it in the woods. I threw it in the woods and then let Sophie out. I didn't really figure Mom wanted the dog kept in the house until the rabbit decomposed. About an hour later Sophie was barking to be let in so I went to the door and looked out only to see the rabbit there again. Only this time, more fur was gone its spine was sticking out and I think its kidneys were strewn onto the walkway. I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I called Dad and told me to put it in a bag. I told him I didn't think I could do that so he said to leave it and he would figure something out when he got home. I saw Sophie and her beard was all red/brown. It's always discolored so it is hard to say whether or not it was from the rabbit or not. After I thought about it for a little while I felt bad leaving it for Dad since he works a lot harder than I do and I'm kind of supposed to do the stuff at the house that he doesn't have time for or just doesn't want to do. I donned my surgical gloves and tied Sophie up without touching her fur. I then tried to somehow scoop the rabbit carcass with a snow shovel and trash bag. I've kind of blocked that out from my memory, but I do know it took a lot longer than I would have liked. There were flies buzzing all around my head. I finally got it bagged but the kidneys were still there. I sprayed them off of the deck with the hose and then sprayed Sophie down. I'm pretty sure that will piss Mom off but I'm not entirely sure I care.

I'm never doing that again.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Ugh, that's too bad. I remember the time we were at the bottom of the circle at the Morganton house when dad made me pick up a dead squiril that had been hit by a car and walk with it over into the woods to throw it away. Then we drove home with me kind of holding my hands out in front of me and trying not to touch anything. The when we finally got home I was trying to go wash my hands and Rebecca was blocking my way. I was tempted to just reach out and touch her shoulder or something, but instead I just kind of nudged her with my hip. She got all incensed that her blockade had not been effective. After I washed my hands I explained to her WHY it was not such a good idea for her to pick that particular moment to grandstand with her passive aggresive techniques and she kinda backed off that particular issue. Anyway, what is it with our parents and dead animals? No wonder half of us have germ phobias.

Terra said...

ugh! I am so glad I wasn't there. It seemd like I always got stuck with taking care of grossness like that when I lived at home.
I do remember a story the Collins told me about their cats. One day Mrs. COllins found a half dead squirrel in their basement.
It was screaming.
It freaked her our she couldn't deal with it and had Estelle go back in and use the shovel to get it out- it had died in the mean time.