Sunday, July 16, 2006

No really, you're serious?

I went to dinner with another "friend" tonight and had a conversation that went something like this:

Courtney: "So anyway, how are you doing?"

Me: "I'm doing better."

Courtney: "Good."

Complete silence. No questions about why I was doing badly to begin with.

Me: "My brother was in Beirut for all attacks."

Courtney: "Awesome."

Complete silence.

Me: "I guess I'm pretty irritated that not one single friend of mine called to see how my brother was doing."

More silence.

Courtney: "Well, I know it sounds bad, but I didn't know anything had happened."

Me: "Yeah, I'm working under that assumption for most people. I guess I wouldn't really be following it if I didn't have family there and we didn't have Lebanese ancestory."

Courtney: "Man, Anthony (her boyfriend) is going to kill me. He's a middle eastern studies major."

Me: "And he didn't mention this at all?"

Courtney: "He doesn't really talk about that stuff to me 'cause he knows I don't really care."

Yeah. That's a relationship that will last a long time.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Um, are you serious? Everyone seems to tend to assume that the world is only their little portion and nothing else is really happening to other people that is as or more important than their little part. Great example for us not to follow. How is your brother and his family doing? I am glad to hear you are doing better. What was going on that caused you to be doing badly?