One of my longtime friends went to Singapore to visit her fiancee who is in the marines stationed there for some reason. I thought she wasn't leaving for another week so I called the good old TCBY of Morganton to try and get a hold of her (she works there in the summers). My best friend also works there but I left the message for Kristen and not for my best friend. I got a message later in the day from a very displeased best friend asking me to call her. I knew she would be upset that I didn't ask for her, but with all the other stresses going on right now I wasn't really interested in hearing that right now. Problem is that Ashley is just like me and the longer you wait the worse the backlash is. I called her after TCBY closed and she immediately asked me why I called for Kristen and not her. I explained to her I was trying to talk to her before she went overseas. I guess that appeased her and she asked me how I'm doing. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "Well, I'm not really doing that good."
Ashley: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Well, have you heard about the bombings in--"
Ashley: "...In Leb--what's it called?--Lebanon. Now who's there your dad or brother?"
Me: "My brother."
Ashley: "Yeah, I heard about that and I thought your brother was in Egypt or Lebanon or somewhere. That's actually why I called."
(sidenote: I think it's pretty obvious that's not why she called. She didn't say anything about it in her message and chose to ask why I called Kristen first. I would hope that if she remembered about my brother living in a war torn country that she would bring that up first).
Me: "Yeah, well we're all pretty worried because Israel is slowly cutting off all modes of transportation out of the country so they're unable to evacuate him right now."
Ashley: "Yeah, I heard that gas is going to get to, like, $4.00 a gallon cause of that shit."
Me in my head: "Are you really asking me about gas prices when I just told you that my brother and his family are stuck in Beirut while everything is getting bombed?"
What I actually said: "That's unclear at this point."
This conversation is pretty disappointing. She said she was going to call me back when she got home from work and never did. I kind of feel like unless I have a story that sounds like an episode of the O.C. then very few people my age want to hear about it. Pretend like it's "24" and then maybe you'll want to listen.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Tell them he's a spy- that might help. Or you could just bean hem over the head. I say go with chich ever one is most satisfying to you.
Um, are you serious? Are you sure your friend's secret identity is not piglet?
I'm not really confident that I understand what either one of you is talking about.
Post a Comment