Thursday, May 07, 2009

A Scam is Lusting...Then What's a Date?

I am going through one of those phases in my life where I feel like I'll be alone forever and don't really care for it. There is a show just ended on VH1 called Tough Love that took women who were having trouble forming committed relationships and put them through a boot camp in order for them to assess what they were doing wrong with men. If I wouldn't find it completely mortifying for people I know to see me on a show like that I would totally do it. Even though I know what I'm doing wrong, maybe they would know how to fix it. Anyway, there was one girl, about 22 I think, that wanted desperately to get married and the man from her previous long term relationship just wouldn't commit. She found someone the very first day and dated him the whole time she was there. She kept telling him it was over with the other guy and that she could tell he was sincere and wonderful blah, blah, blah. Her ex was waiting for her at the airport with a ring, she dumped the perfect guy and then eventually broke up with the airport guy because he couldn't commit. I kind of felt like someone had punched me in the gut. I wanted so bad for that relationship to work for some reason.

If you're still reading, I think it's obvious I might get a little too invested in cinematic relationships. At any rate, all of these thoughts have made me consider my movie list for young women. I have formulated a mental list that I believe all single ladies should watch in order to understand the broad spectrum of relationships with men. If I ever have a daughter I'm totally gonna make her watch all of them. Anyway since my memory isn't what it used to be I'm not sure I've included everything, but the list goes a little something like this (in no particular order):

1. Say Anything: It shows that there are in fact guys out there that are capable of falling completely in love. Just look for your Lloyd Dobbler driving around in his blue Chevy Malibu. Or try calling 555-1342. Side note...I tried to do a screen printing project with Lloyd outside of the window holding up the stereo while the chick is inside doing it with another dude. My teacher "didn't get it."

2. The Village: This movie shows that love doesn't have to be stupidly dramatic. It can be simple and quiet. It's still love.

3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: One of my all time favorite movies. Michel Gondry is an ingenius filmmaker. This movie is the opposite of The Village in that it shows how messy love gets and that sometimes you wish it never happened. It shows the pain and aftermath. Despite all that, it also shows that love is out of our control and that sometimes people are drawn to each other even if you try to hold back.

4. Prime: This movie is not what I expected. I also have to confess I have a small crush on the leading man. He's pretty adorable. I was really iffy about this movie, but ultimately I decided it did a really good job of showing that you can share a fantastic love with some one without that person being "the one." Sometimes you have relationships just to learn from them. The Break-Up also does this, but not as well. That movie just makes me sad.

5. Shopgirl: I really hate Claire Danes and Steve Martin opposite each other. Utterly ridiculous. If you can get past that, you can see that this movie illustrates how two people can be in the same relationship and view it completely differently.

6. In the Company of Men: the movie is very poorly made. It is a directorial debut for Neil LaBute and done on a very low budget. I've found I like most movies with Aaron Eckhart. Anyway, it shows how cruel people can be in relationships. How dishonest and disgusting. It shows all that without being graphic and vulgar.

7. Closer: Now this movie is both graphic and vulgar. Really, really vulgar. It's also very good and can be gut-wrenching depending on your mood. It illustrates how you can be with someone for years, be as intimate with him/her as possible, and still know very little about him/her. And the soundtrack is pretty good.

I think that mostly covers everything. I reserve the right to edit later.

5 comments:

kat said...

Ugh...making this list might have made it worse. Now I'm just sad I don't know anyone like Lloyd or Lucius. Or Lars. Oh Lars.

Megan said...

i know. i was wondering where lars was. i am sure i can find a good relationship lesson from that. it does seem like one is missing though from the original list you told me a while ago. i just can't remember what it is.

kat said...

I think Lars & the Real Girl is more just a life lesson movie. It really shows how people can be good and a sense of community.

I think I left off The Last Kiss. That movie has an awesome soundtrack from semi-douchey Zach Braff, but it also has this quote, "Stop talking about love. Every asshole in the world says he loves somebody. It means nothing. It still doesn't mean anything. What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the people you say you love, that's what matters. It's the only thing that counts."

Megan said...

i love that quote.

Mary Ann said...

Wow. This is so analytical.