Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Year, Newish Me

I've been wanting to do a post about new year's resolutions, well, since the new year obviously. I don't usually make resolutions, but I do still seem to be struggling to steer my life in a direction that I find satisfactory. Every time I really try to sift through the muck I start to think, "what if I'm just one of those people that is never satisfied?" I mean, what if I actually do begin one of the careers I keep talking about and still don't like it? Then what? I usually start to panic after thinking this and start watching TV. Or rather, continue watching TV. At any rate here are my hopes for 2010 in no particular order:

1) I would like to continue progressing in Krav Maga. I went to my first level 2 class last night and I consider it an overwhelming failure, but I'm proud of myself for going because I was not at all in a good state-of-mind. I'm going to be ambitious and say that I would like to be well on my way to level 3 by the end of the year. It is really unlikely that will be the case since most current level 2ers have been in there for two years. I figure if I push myself though then I'll be trying that much harder.

2) I would like to give Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a try. I'm not sure if I'll like it since there is no striking involved. It is all submissions and chokeholds. Since there is no striking, I'm hoping to build more strength without the recovery time to my joints. Plus, I'll feel that much more protected in a grappling situation. I still probably wouldn't use this in a streetfighting situation. I don't know any trained fighter who would, but I digress.

3) I would like to have a flat stomach. I know this sounds really silly, but I've always had a little pudge there no matter how thin I've been and for once in my life I would like to fell comfortable showing my stomach. Trouble is that I don't want to lose much more weight anywhere else, so it's getting a little tricky.

4) I would like to become financially secure. I don't expect to have some crazy amount of money saved up by the end of the year, but I would like to be well on my way to paying my debt down because right now I feel like most of day is consumed with thinking about money, Krav, or boys. I don't like that.

5) I would like to have a teaching job for next year. I'm pretty nervous about this because I am a little worried I still won't like it and I don't really have a back up plan.

6) I would like to go on one of the volunteer trips I've been researching. So much so that I'm willing to remain at the job that grates at my nerves every second of every day that I am there. I constantly have to think that I am there for more important reasons. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll have my car back and then I can actually start saving for one of these trips rather than putting all my earnings towards rental cars.

2 comments:

Megan said...

sounds like a decent list. i stopped making them because it depresses me. surprise surprise. i think the politics of teaching will get on your nerves but that goes along with any job. it will definitely be less stress and a regular schedule which is good.

Abby said...

I am glad to hear you have some goals. It is one of those things that I forget to do and then I get bored and frustrated. I am sure a teaching job will be a big change of pace for you. The regular hours is nice. What age group are you going for?