Friday, July 10, 2009

Let's Lighten Things Up a Bit

About 2 months ago I got together with a few friends and at a local Charleston restaurant called Lana. Our waiter was a little too quirky, but it was very yummy and the spark that ignited between my future roommate and her now boyfriend. She is dating my old schoolmate that came to celebrate the occasion. I expect to be their flower girl. Anyway, I a girl from work also came with her boyfriend and even though we didn't know each other very well at the time she got me some little vouchers at a place called Cupcake for a present. If I were a better blogger I would take a picture of the vouchers because they are adorable as is everything that is produced by this place. Instead of the typical gift card or certificate they make wooden coins with their logo. She got me six and tied them in a little pink voile pouch. It was very sweet. No pun intended.

Yesterday I went for my very first cupcake. I forgot the vouchers, but decided that was OK because I should save them for when I want a treat, but don't have much money. I went for the most decadent thing possible: Death by Chocolate. I felt like I had earned it for all of my good work ignoring my roommate and internalizing my frustrations. It was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate chips with a mountain of chocolate frosting that also had chocolate chips and sprinkles on top. The frosting was so heavy the cupcake toppled over if it wasn't balanced properly. I ate it before I could take pictures. Next time I promise. The store gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling so I will definitely be back. With my vouchers.

I've been a generally surly mood for the past few days so I haven't been very amped about my Krav classes. I went Tuesday night though and it kicked my ass. We did these conditioning drills with Uno cards. I know it doesn't sound hard core but each color had an assignment: Blue=groin kicks to a pad, Yellow=knee strikes to a pad, Green=push ups, Red=floor sprawls then a pop up into fighting stanch and two punches to a pad. We had to do whatever number was on the card and when a wild card or double was drawn then the real fun began. I was OK at everything but the push ups (I can only do "girl" ones for now) and the floor sprawls. Over the past few years I've learned to favor my right arm so I was putting all my weight on my left arm and right leg and popping up from there. Needless to say my right leg was so sore it felt like it was in a perpetual state of cramping the next day. The good news is that I overheard the guy who runs the place say to another instructor that once I get a little stronger I'll be really good. I hope that's true. As of right now I've learned how to get out of front, side, and backwards choke holds. Additionally, we spent a day learning how to get out of and put someone else in the Muay Thai Clench. So yeah, I'm pretty much a badass now ;)

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Your updates really motivate me to delve more into krav. We have a studio near us....

Megan said...

i am pretty jealous you are taking these classes. i just get so embarrassed about doing that in front of people.

kat said...

I was just telling Mary Ann that my first few classes I would start laughing watching myself in the mirror. At the studio I go to it's not a big deal because everyone is learning and there to have a good time.

Matt, I think you'd really like it. It's more instinctual rather than form driven like karate can be. Some studios are more intense than others so your's might not be as fun.

I forgot to mention that we only did half the Uno deck. The morning class had to do the whole one. I probably would have passed out.