I have not lived with someone who slams doors since I was a teenager. It's completely baffling to me that someone my age would use that as a form of passive aggressive communication. Baffling.
I am excited and a little nervous to start my new job today. I hope this one works out. In reality even if it doesn't I'll need to stay anyway because I can't continue to burn bridges in the restaurant industry down here.
I've gone to walk on the beach twice this week. Three times if you count the time I went during high tide and had to go home. It was really nice. Even though the second time it was ridiculously windy. Like a really windy day in Boone but sand was getting blown in your eyes rather than ice. I've been going to Sullivan's Island and it's a really nice small family beach with small waves. It's not really the trendy beach down here, but that's why I like it. Beach atmosphere without beach crowds.
I bought a table for my TV and record player. Well two tables. I couldn't find a console table that was wide enough and made of a material that I liked. I settled on two of these end tables butted together.

These tables are part of Overstock's Worldstock department. It is a section of Overstock that contains furniture and household items that are made by world artisans of mostly sustainable materials. The purchase of these items supports the artisans of these foreign areas and each item has a story attached. This is the story for this item:
Mango wood is indigenous to Northern Thailand. It is here, in the Golden Triangle, where Mr. Suwichack Ampanan and a small group of fellow artisans have been perfecting the craft of working with mango wood. Mr. Ampanan first learned the trade of woodworking about 15 years ago from his father. He now oversees a group of five artisans, but is actively involved in most every piece that leaves the workshop. By employing other local artisans, Mr. Ampanan has allowed them to enjoy a better standard of living than is offered by farming. All mango wood products from Mr. Ampanan's workshop are environmentally responsible. They only use mango trees that can no longer bear fruit. He and his staff hope you enjoy their products as much as they enjoy creating them.
While it is made of a "sustainable" material and supports an artisan you do have to consider the exchange of it being shipped from Thailand. Hopefully they will do a better job than Crate & Barrel who shipped my bamboo shelves in about three trash bags worth of styrofoam. At any rate, it is a fully assembled piece of furniture and because it is from Overstock the shipping was minimal and I had a gift certificate so I got about $50 off. I got both tables for under $200 and I can finally take my TV off of my record player and stacked plastic containers.
Thank you, Mary Ann, for the essay suggestions. I will attempt to answer one of the prompts when I get home tonight and then I will ask you all to assess the essay on criteria to be divulged later.
3 comments:
I love the table.
Me too. I am horribly picky and cheap when it comes to furniture, but this one is realy neat.
Well I considered the price for these two tables as being very cheap for handmade solid wood furniture. And, even though it is kind of an awkward use for them right now, hopefully soon I will have my own apartment where I can actually use them as end tables.
Post a Comment