So I saw this clip posted on Yahoo, like I'm sure many of you did.
http://video.yahoo.com/network/100000089?v=4816051&l=100022574
I watched and did something most of you probably didn't/wouldn't. I cried. I mean cried, not just a tear up. There were tears falling down my cheeks. I really don't know why I got so emotional. It actually caught me a little off guard.
The thing is I really love musicals. I think the whole idea of a musical is so innocent and pure. Even when it's about something not so pure like Gypsy or some of the songs from The Music Man. I just really kind of wish life was more like a musical I guess. I wish people were emotionally available enough that they would burst into song about what they're thinking right then and there. The fact that someone actually planned this event and made it a realization is just awesome. It's the kind of artistic impact I've always wanted to make.
In school I had an assignment to do something I'd never done in my life before and write an essay and then turn it into a book, typeset it and illustrate it. Many of you know I chose to learn how to shoot a gun. I had a friend who chose to spontaneously burst into song like she was in a musical. She went to Macado's and started singing "Dancing in the Street." People actually chimed in and sang with her. It was pretty cool.
ANYWAY, I was studying for the Writing Praxis last night and realized I don't really have a way to prepare for my essay exam. My writing style is obviously pretty conversational so I do need a little practice. I was thinking maybe some of you guys could give me some prompts and I'll write a timed essay on here and post it. The prompts are pretty general opinion questions that don't require a lot of prior knowledge. An example in my book was whether or not letter grading systems should be replaced with a pass/fail system. I'm going to be working on my grammar separately, but I really need practice elaborating on my ideas and such.
Any suggestions on prompts?
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ok, i just have to say that when josh showed me this i intentionally watched it where he couldn't see my face b/c i started crying three times during the clip. every time i felt it starting i though "what the heck is wrong with me?" even though it just means we are both freaks it makes me feel better.
as far as the prompt goes, i suck at writing. sorry.
write an essay about a time you learned a lesson from a stranger
write an essay describing the first time you employed the scientific method
write an essay about people who believe their dogs are the equivalent of human children
write an essay about a challenge that you overcame
write an essay about those cameras that catch people running red lights--because some people think the gov'ment has no right to do that and yet we have them
Post a Comment